MARSHALL (KMHL) – One occupant escaped, but a dog died in the house fire that occurred along Main Street in Marshall Monday night.

Marshall Fire officials say that one person was in the house when the fire began, that individual was able to escape, but a dog in the home was not.

The fire did significant damage to the home. Officials believe the fire began inside the house – near the back of the building.

Officials have not determined a cause, they are awaiting an investigation from the State Fire Marshal’s office.