Balaton (KMHL) – Slope maintenance work on Highway 14 in Balaton will begin Monday, March 29. It will start with the removal of trees and as weather conditions become favorable, work will continue with the placement of riprap and erosion control measures to repair and stabilize the slope which is experiencing erosion. The project located at the Highway 14 bridge at the south end of Lake Yankton will take place off the roadway; however, a temporary lane closure and flagging operation is possible to accommodate heavy equipment. The project is scheduled to be completed within three weeks, weather permitting.
MnDOT asks drivers to:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate with care and caution
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Watch for orange cones