Harold Orville Schmidt, age 97 of Westbrook, passed away on Friday, May 10, 2024 at Good Samaritan Society of Mountain Lake. Private family services will be held at a later date. Interment will be in the Westbrook Cemetery.  Stephens Funeral Service – Westbrook Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangements.

Harold Orville Schmidt was born February 13, 1927 to Harry and Hattie (Albers) Schmidt in Lennox, South Dakota.  He attended grade school and high school in Lennox and graduated in May of 1945.  While in high school Harold worked for Council Oak Stores. Shortly after graduation, he was drafted into the Army on June 4, 1945 at Fort Snelling, Minneapolis, Minnesota. From there he went to basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO then traveled to Camphor, VA to board a ship to Le Havre, France. He arrived on January 2, 1946 and went to Munich, Germany. While in Germany, Harold worked at the Officers Club as a bar manager with four German bartenders. Harold left this duty to go home in November 1946. Once back in the states he was discharged in December of 1946. During this time he worked at the Farmers Market in Sioux Falls, from January 1947 to May 1948. In June of 1948, he reenlisted and was sent to Fort Riley, KS. On December 18, 1948 he married Doraine “Dodie” Wida in Hillman, MN. They lived in Ogden, KS until September 8, 1950. Once again Harold received orders to ship out to an unknown destination. His crew was within approximately 100 miles from Tokyo, Japan. He had 30 days of training then his men were off to Korea by train to Sesebo, Japan on a Japanese ship to the port of Pusan, Korea. In Pusan he went onto Wonsan, North Korea, then to Hamhung, North Korea by train in a box car when the Chinese and North Korea took over. Harold then flew back to South Korea in December 1950. He was in Korea for 18 months then was honorably discharged on April 26, 1952. After returning home, Harold resumed working for Council Oak Stores from 1952-1960. He later worked at Red Owl Stores from 1960-1961, until purchasing his own store in Westbrook, MN in March 1963. He sold the store in 1983. Harold worked alongside his wife Dodie, until she passed away in July of 1999. They were married 50 years. In 2000 he began working at Wal-Mart until his health declined ten years later.

Harold is survived by his son Lonny; grandchildren: Quentin, Danielle, Courtnie, Darby, Tierney, Tara, Linsey and Derek; and 11 great grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his parents, wife Dodie, daughter Lynda, and son Kenyon.