MARSHALL (KMHL) – A small fire occurred last night at the Marshall High School. Firefighters responded to the fire alarm around 11 p.m. Monday night.

Marshall Fire Chief Quentin Brunsvold says they believe the fire started in a sander that was being used to refinish the gym floor. He said there was very minor fire damage to the building. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames and spent time ventilating the building.

Marshall Public Schools Superintendent Scott Monson said he knows the timeline is tight before fall sports and activities are set to start.

“Fingers crossed because of the fire I don’t see any delay in terms of being able to utilize that space without any smell when kids, coaches and everybody comes in here for fall sports and activities,” said Monson.