UNDATED (KMHL) – Governor Tim Walz sent a letter to President Trump requesting a Presidential Disaster Declaration for 51 Minnesota counties and four tribal governments.
The declaration includes several counties in southwest Minnesota.
The letter says that from March 12 to April 28 the region dealt with major flooding, blizzard conditions and gale force winds that combined to cause nearly $40 million in infrastructure damage across the state.
“The transition from winter to spring in Minnesota was exceptionally difficult this year,” said Gov. Walz in his letter. Walz said the State of Minnesota needs federal assistance to recover from the major natural disaster.
If the President declares it a major disaster, FEMA would fund 75 percent of the approved costs, while the State of Minnesota would pay the remaining 25 percent.