Keep up to date on local events in your community and submit your events below!
SMSU Theatre Celebrates the Holidays With The 1940’s Radio Hour
December 14, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - December 15, 2019 @ 4:00 pm
Just in time for the holidays, SMSU Theatre presents The 1940’s Radio Hour by Walton Jones, with music by various composers. The show transports the audience to December 1942 as radio station WOV broadcasts its holiday variety show. The performance features live sound effects, humorous 1940s radio ads, and classic songs such as “Blue Moon,” “Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy,” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” with music provided by the SMSU Jazz Ensemble.
Performances are December 12 through 15 at 7:30 pm each night, with matinee performances at 2 p.m. on December 14 and 15. Tickets are $10 each and are available at www.SMSUtickets.com and at the door. All performances are in the SMSU Fine Arts Theatre, with free parking available in lot B-1. All performances are free to SMSU students with a valid student ID. A USO-style canteen will be open for refreshments in the Black Box, Fine Arts 112, 30 minutes before and after each performance.
The 1940’s Radio Hour is directed by Professor of Theatre Sheila Tabaka of Marshall, Minn., who is also the costume designer. Assistant Professor of Theatre and SMSU Theatre alumnus Mike Lenz of Cottonwood, Minn., is the scenic, lighting, and sound designer as well as the technical director. Professor of Music Dr. John Ginocchio of Marshall, Minn., is the music director, leads the SMSU Jazz Ensemble, and plays Zoot Doubleman. Adjunct Music faculty member Jim Tabaka of Marshall, Minn., is the vocal director. Mary Jean Porter, a sophomore Theatre Arts and Professional Writing double major, Studio Art and Music minor from Marshall, Minn., is the hair and makeup designer. Professor of Theatre Nadine Purvis Schmidt of Estelline, S.D., is the producer. Jennifer Turner, a freshman Early Childhood and Elementary Education major from Windom, Minn., is the stage manager. The cast and crew includes:
- Emmanuel Ale, a sophomore Theatre Arts major from Nigeria, as Stanley.
- Brady Berg, a sophomore English and Secondary Education major and Acting and Directing minor from Wells, Minn., as B.J. Gibson.
- Sariah Cheadle, a senior English Literature and Theatre Arts double major from Fulda, Minn., as Kit Fergusson. Cheadle is also the dramaturg.
- Alexis Christensen, a freshman Vocal and Flute Performance major and TESL and Theatre minor from Lake Benton, Minn. as Connie Miller.
- Zyairr Johnson-Landoll, a freshman Theatre Arts major from Sturgis, S.D., as Lou Cohn.
- Allie Lamote, a sophomore Communications Studies and Theatre Arts major and Marketing minor from Marshall, Minn., as Ginger Brooks.
- Avianna McFarquhar, a junior Theatre Arts and Management double major from Marshall, Minn., as Geneva Lee Browne. McFarquhar is also the choreographer.
- Paula Nemes, a community member from Marshall, Minn., as Louise.
- Noah Patterson, a sophomore Elementary Education major from Albertville, Minn., as Biff Baker.
- Paul Ragan, a senior History and Secondary Education major and Theatre Arts and Acting and Directing minor from Fosston, Minn., as Johnny Cantone.
- Raxson Rax, a senior Theatre Arts major from Milan, Minn., as Neil Tilden.
- Bob Schwoch, an SMSU Theatre Arts alumnus and SMSU employee from Lynd, Minn., as Pops Bailey.
- Michael Van Keulen, a community member from Ghent, Minn., as Clifton Feddington.
- Elizabeth Zoya, a junior Theatre Arts major from Maplewood, Minn., as Ann Collier.
- Tailer Benson, a freshman Theatre Arts and Broadcast & Digital Media double major from Elk River, Minn. and Cat (Caitlin) Schmidt, a senior Theatre Arts major from Arlington, Minn., are the assistant stage managers.
Members of the SMSU Jazz Ensemble participating in the production include:
- Whitney Burns, a junior Music Education major from Siloam Springs, Ark., on trumpet.
- Maria Callens, a junior Piano Performance and Pedagogy major from Taunton, Minn., on piano.
- Ivan Chavez, a sophomore Music minor from Marshall, Minn., on guitar.
- Jack Elbert, a junior Music Education/Theory and Composition major from Bloomington, Minn., on percussion.
- Vaughn Gehle, a Professor of Biology from Marshall, Minn., on trumpet.
- Josh Hansen, a sophomore Music Education major from Marshall, Minn., on alto saxophone.
- Michael Hofstetter, a Professor of History from Marshall, Minn., on bass.
- Andrea Korthals, a sophomore Elementary Education/Special Education major from Rock Rapids, Iowa, on trumpet.
- T. Linz, a senior Music major from Marshall, Minn., on trombone.
- Terry Louwagie, a community member from Marshall, Minn., on trumpet.
- Louis Lozinski, a junior Biology major from Marshall, Minn., on trombone.
- Alejandro (Alex) Montoya, a freshman Music Composition major and Accounting minor from Marshall, Minn., on percussion.
- Ryan Ohm, a senior Music Education major from Brooklyn Park, Minn., on reed 3 tenor saxophone.
- Alija Ros, a sophomore Agricultural Education major and Animal Science minor from Walnut Grove, Minn., on baritone saxophone and bass clarinet.
- Nolan J. Schultz, a freshman History Education major from Marshall, Minn., on trombone.
- Chris Syphokham, a senior Music Education and Accounting major from Luverne, Minn., on piano.
- Megan Thooft, a junior Music major and Hispanic Studies minor from Marshall, Minn., on trumpet.
- Kevin Totusek, a junior Music Theory & Composition major from Apple Valley, Minn., on bass.
- Lyzzie Wiener, a senior Agricultural Education major and Spanish minor from Sauk Centre, Minn., on clarinet and tenor saxophone.
The 1940’s Radio Hour is presented through special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc., a Concord Theatricals Company.
Submit your events here! Events will be posted to our Community Calendar after being approved by our webmaster.